You are here
Whau River Catchment Trust
Our mission is raising community awareness and mobilising community energy to improve the ecological health of the Whau River catchment.
Core WRCT activities include:
· On-going riparian restoration projects in public parks and reserves such as Kurt Brehmer Reserve, Sister Rene Shadbolt Park, Archibald Park, Wingate Reserve etc
· Environmental education and awareness programmes for schools, volunteers, communities, businesses and organisations
· Facilitating Auckland Council‘s Sustainable Neighbourhoods program to provide practical help and advice for householders, businesses and communities on public, private or commercial land to improve the environment and build sustainable communities
· Working in partnership with other organisations to implement weed and pest control programs, water monitoring programs, restore or improve access such as the Greenways Project and the Whau Portage project
Friends of the Whau Inc. (FOW)
- In partnership with WRCT, Friends of the Whau Inc. (FOW) looks after our membership and community volunteers to improve the health of the Whau River and its tributaries.
- Our volunteers include school, tertiary and special needs students, small business owners, corporates, churches, scout groups, artists and entrepeneurs
- FOW volunteer activities include weed eradication and replacement with natives plus on-going maintenance e.g. mulching, weeding, rubbish collection, pest control, water monitoring etc
- FOW communicates with the community through our website, Facebook pages, regular e-newsletters and events