You are here
Makara Peak Mountain Bike Park Supporters
The Makara Peak Supporters have a mission to create a world class mountain bike park at Makara Peak, with dual use (cycling and walking) tracks for all levels of rider, in a restored native forest.
With over 250 ha of land in various stages of regeneration, the Supporters have an active committee and volunteer base involved in conservation and restoration but are always in need of new people who are interested in helping out. Makara Peak is a significant part of the Outer Green Belt concept and an important link between the city, Karori Sanctuary, Otari-Wilton’s Bush and west coast.
Every year the Supporters:
- Aim to plant 1 tree for every meter of track built. To date we have planted over 32,000 trees.
- Release previous plantings from spring weed and grass growth.
- Carry out possum, rat and mustelid control linking Zealandia and Otari-Wilton Bush
- Maintain a plant weed control programme.
- Promote conservation awareness.
The Makara Peak Supporters always welcome new volunteers no matter what level of experience you have. We offer a friendly and supportive network no matter what level of involvement you’re after (and you don’t have to be a mountain biker).
Explore our web page (www.makarapeak.org) for maps of the tracks and more information on our conservation programme, or "Like" us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Makara-Peak-MTB-Park-Supporters/111509625556558) to keep up to date on news.
Contact us at [email protected]